Friday, January 30, 2009

Snow Day


Snow Day!

When it snows, when the weather is really bad, teachers get the day off. Of course we have to make the day up in June but who doesn’t want to sleep in on a bitter, cold, January morning? This past Wednesday I was outside shoveling the snow; fully invigorated by the cold air and the exercise. I was thinking about how much I love to shovel snow. It’s mindless, and that’s why I love it. In this frenetic life, I can turn my brain off for 45 minutes and just move mounds of white powder.

Whenever my neighbors see me shoveling the snow, by hand, they invariably feel charitable. Nicely, they offer to use whatever machinery they have to help me out. Sensitive to being less than gracious I say, “Thanks anyway Doctor Parker, I like to do it.” I get the obligatory No Really look and I say, “I do, it’s a great workout.”

As Doc Parker pulled away from my driveway this past Wednesday I had to laugh. My thoughts turned to all of the really simple things, that I really enjoy. I thought it would be cool to start a conversation, in these tough times, about little things in life that we could take a little time to notice… Simple things that could help put a smile on our faces as we face another day…

Snooze alarm
A hot shower
The Local Library-Thank you Ben Franklin!
New book smell
A roaring fire in the fireplace
Thin crust pizza
A walk in the woods
A bike ride
Cheeseburger with lettuce tomato and onion
Irish Pubs
Sledding
Scan/search on your car radio
Cruise control
The sound of kids laughing
Camping Out
Newspaper delivery (NY Times is $17.60 per month for teachers!)
Cheese cake!
Jimmy Buffet tunes and a cold mug of beer
Good Friends

I would love to go on but it's your turn...I hope the Comments Box is working....Would love to hear from you...and again, thanks for reading, Jim Spinner

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this - except the New York Times is liberal propaganda and you know it Spinner. Of course they offer a reduced subscription to teachers - so they can indoctrinate them. :) I agree, there is nothing like a snow day, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say...just the sports page...when my kids tell me they love me first...Irish Music and Guiness, as well as Jimmy Buffet, Cheese Steaks, the sound of the ocean, the Beach Comber, and the one good golf shot in a horrible day that keeps you coming back...

    Tony B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunrise at the beach with my kids;
    The first beer after skiing;
    Laughing til it hurts;
    Sticking a green from 200+ yards & still not breaking 100;
    Mashed potatoes;
    ...........Reading Spinner's blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are easy:
    The first couple seconds of a hot shower
    Reading the first paragraph of a really good book
    That first cup of coffee in the morning
    an afternoon nap
    walking my dog on the bridle trail
    a glass of wine and a good movie
    watching the birds at the bird feeder in the winter
    listening to Christmas music and decorating the tree
    reading my emails from friends
    laughing with my husband and kids
    waking up to discover you have an hour more until the alarm goes off
    looking at old pictures
    dinner with friends
    a day when all three of my kids are happy!
    J. Hawley

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cold budweiser out of the ice bucket.
    A late afternoon on the beach
    My teenage daughter returning the car home late at night withOUT a dent.
    A second cold budwesier!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The feel of a child's hand in mine
    Sand between my feet
    A really great kiss
    Being in a bookstore where you can linger for hours
    Looking at old photographs
    Reruns of SNL
    Reconnecting with an old friend
    Baking with my girls
    Reading an entire book in one day
    The first day of summer vacation
    Holding a puppy or a kitten
    And yes, the first real snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the above - tons of simple things I truly love!

    Plus:

    I LOVE when my kids have a real belly laugh - don't really care if it is laughing with me or laughing at me or Eric. Believe me, there is PLENTY to laugh about here!!

    I LOVE being in the hammock, with a book & a glass of wine, thanks to Spinner! The first hammock we had was a wedding present from Spinner & Kira. I've replaced it a couple of times already & always think of them. Great people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the sun pouring in through the skylights and warming up the room in winter...misty rain...pouring rain...thunderstorms...the smell of lavendar...really good macaroni and cheese...drinking a glass of wine while watching the sun go down over the neighbors feild...getting a phone call from someone I was just thinking about...cats lying on their backs all splayed out like someone dropped them...reading something that brings tears to my eyes...a super deep belly laugh...power outages at night so you can light tons of candles...driving...hearing coyotes yipping and yowling in the fields at night...turkey vultures...remembering to get the trash to the curb on time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spinner,

    Shoveling powder? Why is it you live a mere 5 miles from me & you shovel powder while I shovel ice & slush? Shade vs. Sun perhaps.

    Simple pleasures?
    Children, sharing high point - low point, my friend's greyhounds, friends, pitter-patter of little feet in sleepers upon hard wood floors, Irish oats, quality tea & coffee, NPR & all programs, BBC News, a cross country ski, a down hill ski, early AM walk around the lake, breathing in the sea salty air, the smell of sheets when hung in sea air, kayak on lazy river, parties in great company, books, quiet cubbies w/ bean bags, children, & books... movies, Bantam & Bethel cinemas, musical theater, DVDs, popcorn, excellent quality food & or raw ingredients, exploring...

    ReplyDelete