Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yes, we are there yet!

Standing on the lakeside, the Spinner family is partaking in one of our family traditions. At the close of our annual summer vacation to Mossflower, our family’s camp in the Adirondacks, we walk together to say good-bye to various parts of the camp. “Good-bye boat house. Good-bye lake. Good-bye hot tub.” Kira's father John, and his wife Lucy bought this camp ten years ago. And it has become a special place for our whole family. We started talking to inanimate objects when our boys were little, in an effort to ease their sadness at vacation's end. Of course I feel silly talking to a canoe but I always get a little catch in my throat as I come to the realization that never again will Nick, Brian and Charlie be 10, 8 and 5 respectively. I know, because everyone tells me, that in the blink of an eye, they’ll be 22, 20 and 17.

Driving home, the boys give the running commentary as we pass our landmarks, “There’s the dalmation at the Saranac Lake Fire House. There’s Tail of the Pup! There’s the big beaver!” I always snicker when they say big beaver. Kira backhands me in the ribs and tells me to grow up. Some day the boys will think, “There’s the big beaver” is funny. Eventually they settle in to watch a movie, Kira begins to nap and I begin to the think, about family vacations past…

In the blink of my mind's eye, we are in the Spinner family station wagon. We are finally leaving East 4th Street (my father was a notoriously slow starter) en route to Beach Lake, Penna. Have to use the old abbreviation. Going to "The Country" as we liked to say. It was maybe a three hour ride but boy did it feel like forever. Makes me appreciate how my kids feel driving 6 plus hours to The Adirondacks.

Like most of you, memories of my childhood vacations are seared into my brain. Just like our kid’s will be. I always thought it interesting that there were 51 other weeks, but for all of us, memories from that week are turbo charged. Our landmarks were different going from Brooklyn to PA. (Of course, we were not in seat belts, didn’t have a movie system in the car and hand held Gameboys were something out of The Twilight Zone) But this is more about similarities than differences…My father would take the Battery Tunnel, to the West Side Highway then to the Lincoln Tunnel. Along the way we’d pass the new Twin Towers, the gritty meat packing district while the Hudson River rolls to my left. To this day I take comfort in the fact that Yale Trucking still has the same replica truck up on the second floor of their building. Although it’s weather beaten, it’s a connection to those trips from long ago.

The Spinners were introduced to Twin Willows Cabins, by John Tracy, my best friend at the time. Because of our friendship, our fathers became tight and coached our baseball team together. I can imagine the conversation after practice, Mr. Tracy holding a can of Schaefer, telling my father, “You have to come up, we’ll have a great time, there’s a ton a things for the kids to do.

As soon as we get to our log cabin, Cabin 4 on the far right side, we are greeted by the familiar smell; a combination of moisture and pine needles. We pick our respective bedrooms. After we unpack, we run around the horseshoe of 14 cabins, looking to see “who else is here?” A haven for working class families from Brooklyn and Queens, we see a lot of the same families every year. Always hope to see Danny and Kevin Reilly from Rego Park, Queens. Mr. Reilly and my dad became fishing buddies. Usually we’d see Linda Wagner and her family, she was a little blonde tom-boy and her dad looked like John Wayne. My friends and I would all vie for Linda’s attention.

Like Kira and I today, my parents knew this week was special. Mom and Dad seemed to smile more, they said YES more often. One of my fondest memories,if you can believe it, is food shopping. We'd go to the Giant supermarket in Honesdale and Judy Spinner would finally throw financial caution to the wind. “Mom, can we get Skippy Peanut Butter please?” “Sure.” Name brand items were a luxury. “Mom, how about Wonder Bread?” “Why not?”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out to dinner at Belly's in Mountain View, NY and the boys ask, “Can we get soda dad?” Kira and I exchange a look and a shrug of the shoulder, “Alright.” Brian, Nick and Charlie, in unison squeal, “YES!” I see them exchanging giddy looks that say, Can you believe our luck? Who are these people we are on vacation with? They wise up, they recognize, it’s Vacation Mom and Vacation Dad. “Can we stop for ice cream? “Oh alright.” “Yaaaaay.”

Back to the Poconos. After helping unpack the groceries we would don our bathing suits and head to the pool. Walking across the grass field that was the center of the horseshoe of cabins, in bare feet! We never did that in Brooklyn! The built in pool was the center of the social scene at Twin Willows Cabins. Like the cabins, the pool was not the greatest, the diving board was home-made, wood covered in some type of vinyl protection, but it was ours. The water was cold and refreshing. John Tracy would usually bring a friend, Jimmy Quinlan, and we would play for hours. Tag around the pool, relay races, diving contests (cannonball, pencil dive, flips) and occasionally someone would get thrown in the pool by a particularly exuberant father. Sometimes we would try to throw Dad in! The concrete housing for the pool's filter was where all the teenagers sunbathed. It was here that the Billard sisters, Lisa and Lynn would place their radio and tune it to WABC, a.m. Today, listening to Sirius 70’s on the satellite radio, songs like "Afternoon Delight" or "Band on the Run" come on and I am transported poolside to Twin Willows Cabins.

Walking back from the pool, asking “Dad can we have a catch?” Vacation Dad always says, “Yes.” Or even better, we would organize a baseball game on the big field with all of the kids and the fathers. I always liked the fact that my dad was pretty good, even if he did overswing and try to cream the ball all the time. This was one of the few times of the year my father would don his sneakers. They were "no-name" sneakers my mother bought him. I used to think, don’t you care enough to buy decent sneakers? You let MOM pick them out for you? You had to see these sneakers; black with little car racing checkered flags on each side of the foot. I think those sneakers might still be in the bottom of my Mom’s closet. The sound of a man running with keys and change in his pocket makes me smile as I see Jimmy Spinner Sr. gamboling around the bases like a graceful janitor. Never knew why he had so many keys, he was a carpenter.

Vacation Mom and Dad did other fun stuff with us too! We’d head down to Cosmos, a combination mini-golf, go kart, batting cages, arcade, ice cream, hamburger joint. What a gold mine for a kid! As we got older, sometimes, we were mischievous. One year, I guess we were around 12, 7th graders I suppose. I teach middle school and I am pretty sure 7th graders send their brains out for maintenance for the year. So Quinland Tweety and I decided to play a practical joke on the guy who ran the go-karts. It was an oval track with tires around the outside and on the inside just on the turns. On the straightaways, there were no tires. So my friends and I decide to ride across the grass infield of the oval. You had to see that carny dude running after us. Looked like a Little Rascals episode. Three go-karts going this way and that and one guy in his Cat Diesel Power hat trying to catch us. Carny guy got the last laugh. Turns out he wasn’t some tobacco-chewing carny guy, he and his brother owned Cosmos. The next summer, 51 weeks later, we buy our tickets and wait on line. Mr. Cosmos waited for us to get to the front of the line then wagged his tobacco stained finger at us and shook his head No. Never did ride those go-karts again.

Beach Lake was a novel town for Brooklyn boys. Even things like walking seemed more fun on vacation. One of the things we did was the “four mile walk.” If you left the Twin Willows Cabins, made a right turn and then walked to the end of each road and just keep making lefts, you would eventually go in a big square. Scuttlebutt around the cabins was that this was four miles. And we would do this, for fun. We spent the walk looking for turtles and frogs, chucking apples at trees and most of the time just talking about things little boys talk about.

We loved to walk to The Beach Lake General Store, it was like going to the store with Half Pint from Little House on the Prairie. Dusty wooden floor, proprietor selling sundries, place smelled like Teaberry gum, remember that stuff? Basically they sold the same stuff we could get at home, but these Beach Lakers knew city people would pay a premium for shopping at The General Store. The best was being old enough to pick out a pocket knife. Then my friends and I would become " little hicks" for the week, whittling sticks and carving things. We'd swear when we got back to Brooklyn that our accents had changed a little. I bet they had.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the summer nights are growing shorter and cooler, and the school year nears, this was my effort at remembering some of my family vacations past. I was hoping my musings would remind you of the family vacations you used to take. I would love to hear about them.

P.S. Thanks Vacation Mom and Dad! You were a lot of fun!

6 comments:

  1. What a great adventure! PJ re: the beaver-thing "keep 'Breakfast of Champions' out of their hands for a couple more years and you may be okay."

    Teaberry gum...I think Double Bubble qualified - my favorite.

    Our family summer trips were to upstate NY, Harriman State Park. They took us from East 5th in Brooklyn, past all the same landmarks (the meat district stands out for me, too) and up into the Hudson Valley. As soon as we hit "the hightway" rte. 9W, it felt like we were in "the COUNTRY," forever-far-away from the big city.

    Driving down the wonderful stomache-flipping hills of "Seven Lakes Drive" (repaved today, removing the fun rollercoaster-like effect) we knew we were getting near. Checking in at the cool WPA 30's stone buildings...Dad explained the importance of those projects to us early on in our life.

    Pitching the tent as a team. Stashing the food safely, setting up the camp fire pit, searching for wood (Mom mad it a game, "Let's see who can get the most firewood?") was all part of the regular routine. Often my folks would bring along some neighborhood friends to "get them out of the city for a bit." Friends to go stream exploring and frog hunting with.

    Hiking to the top of the "mountain" to climb the ill-fenced off old firetower to get the best view. Picking blueberries, blackberries and rasberries (a surprise daddy long-legs jumping on a wrist now and then) and eating the yummy coleman stove cooked berry pancakes. Digging for worms, fishing off the damn for sunnies or the occassional lucky bass (ate 'em, cooked over an open fire ...not so lucky). Taking the splurgy family paddleboat ride around the lake once a year, quick stop for a hot dog and fries at the public beach snack shop.

    Dunkin' Donuts truck on Sundays! Seems funny today with the insane proliferation of D & D everywhere, but back then it was a BIG treat. The truck, just like a Brooklyn neighborhood ice cream truck, would roll into the campsite. Chocolate cream filled for me and Aim, jelly for Mom and the New York Times (civilization) for Dad.

    Great times. Thanks, as always, for writing, and for promptimg my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived back east, except for one year when we lived in the Bronx, we lived in upstate NY -- or at least what we called upstate -- Yorktown Heights in Westchester and Pougkeepsie in Dutchess counties were as far upstate as we got!

    For us, summer vacation was going to the Jersey shore ... we went to Spray Beach for several years. My grandmother's family came from there and so for 1 week we would rent half of a house a few blocks from the beach, and just have fun. My mom was a single parent, so we just had Vacation Mom, but she was pretty cool too! I looked this option up about 2 years ago when we took the kids back to the east coast for vacation -- I was shocked at how much it cost for the places we stayed at during those summers. We couldn't even begin to be Vacation Mom and Dad there anymore, but we had lots of fun at all the other places we did go.

    To me, Silver Lake camp was as close to real camping as I had ever been. I loved the tents in Ranch camp and the smells. My husband and kids wrinkle their noses whenever we are around farm animals -- to me, I'm taken right back to Silver Lake and it makes me smile (especially when I remember that I don't have to muck out the stalls!!!).

    Great story, again, Jim. I really do enjoy your blogs. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one! No doubt you pull at every parent's heart strings with your appreciation of taking in the precious moments with your boys. Love the way you go back and forth between the past and present. You create a visual of the campgrounds and take the reader away.

    You were successful because in an unexpected moment I was transported back to my childhood.

    My parents rented a ski house at Butternut Basin in the Berkshires where we went every weekend for many years. We skied all day and played games all night. One of our favorites was Mille Borne. It was a card game where you needed the green go cards to get out of the gate. One night I offered to set up the game. I was 12 years old and thought I was quite the prankster. I arranged for everyone to get one "GO" card and then I took the rest out except for extras for me. All I had to do was keep a straight face which was hard when my sisters started complaining about being stuck and why was I the lucky one. "Don't laugh Mis, don't laugh," I kept telling myself as I smiled across the table. Then my Dad started getting frustrated. I finally broke as my giggling took over. They all looked at me like I was crazy and couldn't figure out why I was laughing, which of course made me laugh that much harder. I pulled out the rest of the "GO" cards; Their reaction was priceless, they all screamed in shock that they had all been fooled. They became hysterical along with me, jumped on me and tickled me until I promised to never to do that again. To this day whenever someone mentions the "GO" cards we all crack up.
    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. THIS is my favorite one so far, Jim. I don't even know why. It just warmed my heart. There is something about the end of summer that is just bittersweet and I love that feeling. My folks did not like the beach. They did not like hiking or camping or hanging out with other families. My father despised eating outdoors and the few times we did go to the Jersey Shore, my parents would get the kind of sunburn that would be excruciating. But, they DID like going on trips that involved history or learning something. I think we went to every battlefield, big or extra long bridge, and all the cities on the Easy coast. We also traveled to Montreal, Quebec City, England, France and of course Ireland which we would travel to almost every year to see relatives. Now that I am a parent, we go to the beach and hiking as much as possible and eat outdoors almost every night in the summer and fall. But, it is true, I have never taken my kids camping yet! I am ashamed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one Jim, I am a Brooklyn boy from east 8st And I now live up by beach lake. You always seem to hit home for me with your blogs.
    Good job...Mark s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one Jim it brought me back to my childhood days and how certain things and smells bring back certain memories, it also makes me want to take my boys on a vacation and be vacation dad!

    ReplyDelete